Skip to main content

Free Tax Filing Assistance

person writing and caluclating their tax return

Turn to VITA

Free assistance in the preparation of federal and state Income Tax Returns (using the simple tax form) is available for taxpayers of every age at local VITA sites (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) and AARP sites. At these sites, individuals of low-to-moderate income, individuals with disabilities, and non-English speaking taxpayers can find direct assistance in filing their returns. Go to the NJ 211 VITA site listing to find a location in your area.

AARP Foundation sites will assist tax filers of all ages and income levels. As long as you are filing the simple tax form, you are eligible for free assistance.  Access a complete listing of AARP Foundation sites, or call 888-227-7669 to be directed to a site.

What to bring

  • Proof of identification (driver’s license, state photo ID or other government issued identification that includes a photo)
  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents 
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
  • Social Security Benefit Statements (SSA-1099), if applicable
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
  • Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
  • Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable

Please Note: To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.


MyFreeTaxes is a free online tax preparation and filing tool. There is no income limit to file your own taxes. Taxes can be prepared for those who earned less than $60,000 in 2022. Using this online service, you can file your federal and state tax returns at no cost to you. This is a great option for single filers, college students, part-time workers, and anyone else with simple taxes that needs assistance with filing and whose adjusted gross income is less than $60,000 annually. (Your adjusted gross income is your total income from taxable sources, including salary and other employment income, interest and dividends, and long- and short-term capital gains and losses, minus unreimbursed business and medical expenses, contributions to a deductible individual retirement account (IRA), and alimony.)

While this service offers a free federal and state return, the number of forms included is limited. Throughout the self-serve filing process you will be presented with opportunities to purchase additional services. There is no obligation to use these services or pay for any in order to file with MyFreeTaxes. Here is a list of the forms that are included and excluded from the free serviceAccess this tool now.

Tax Counseling for Military Personnel

The military also has a strong VITA program that is administered by the Armed Forces Tax Council (AFTC). Military families can receive free tax preparation assistance at offices within their installations.  These VITA sites provide free tax advice, tax preparation, and assistance. They are trained and equipped to address military-specific tax issues.

Additionally, MilTax Software is free to miliary families and provides access to tax professionals and e-filing.

Where is My Return?

Individuals can check the status of their tax refund using Where’s My Refund? tool or by calling 800-829-1954 for automated refund information. IRS phone assistors do not have more information than what is available in this online tool.

Text this page to someone: