NJ Warming Centers

Code Blue notifications and resources change quickly. Click "read more" to access current activations and warming centers.

Free Tax Filing Assistance

Turn to VITA

Free assistance in the preparation of federal and state Income Tax Returns (using the simple tax form) is available for taxpayers of every age at local VITA sites (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) and AARP sites. At these sites, individuals of low-to-moderate income, individuals with disabilities, and non-English speaking taxpayers can find direct assistance in filing their returns. Go to the NJ 211 VITA site listing to find a location in your area.

AARP Foundation sites will assist tax filers of all ages and income levels. As long as you are filing the simple tax form, you are eligible for free assistance.  Access a complete listing of AARP Foundation sites, or call 1-888-227-7669 to be directed to a site.

Important tips to know before filing your tax return.


  • Proof of identification (photo ID) 
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN (if applicable)
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
  • SSA-1099 (Social Security income statement) or Tier 1 RRB-1099 (Railroad Retirement Board income statement) for people who get social security or railroad retirement benefits
  • 1099-B – proceeds from sales
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  • Forms 1095-A, B and C, Affordable Health Care Statements
  • A copy of last year’s Federal and State tax returns, if available
  • Proof of your bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
  • Identity Protection Pin if anyone on the return had his/her “identity stolen” (e.g. someone used the person’s social security number). The person gets this from IRS and it (the number) must be put on the return
  • Property tax bills and the amount paid and/or the amount of rent you have paid during the tax year
  • Home mortgage interest
  • Any other forms you have received that reflect your income or expenses during the tax year

Please Note: To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

Updated 1.14.21
Source: https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Checklist-for-Free-Tax-Return-Preparation

See VITA SITES (Listing is active from January 15 - April 15 each year)


MyFreeTaxes is a free online tax preparation and filing tool for anyone who earned less than $73,000 in 2021. Using this online service, you can file your federal and state tax returns at no cost to you. This is a great option for single filers, college students, part-time workers, and anyone else with simple taxes whose adjusted gross income is less than $73,000 annually. (Your adjusted gross income is your total income from taxable sources, including salary and other employment income, interest and dividends, and long- and short-term capital gains and losses, minus unreimbursed business and medical expenses, contributions to a deductible individual retirement account (IRA), and alimony.)

While this service offers a free federal and state return, the number of forms included is limited. Throughout the self-serve filing process you will be presented with opportunities to purchase additional services. There is no obligation to use these services or pay for any in order to file with MyFreeTaxes. Here is a list of the forms that are included and excluded from the free serviceAccess this tool now.

Tax Counseling for Military Personnel

The military also has a strong VITA program that is administered by the Armed Forces Tax Council (AFTC). Marines, airmen, soldiers, sailors, and guardsmen, and their families worldwide receive free tax preparation assistance at offices within their installations.  These VITA sites provide free tax advice, tax preparation, and assistance to military members and their families.  They are trained and equipped to address military-specific tax issues.

Additionally, Military OneSource offers a service called H&R Block at Home which enables free e-filing for active duty, Guard, Reserve, and their family members. Visit the Military OneSource site to learn more.

Where is My Return?

Individuals can check the status of their tax refund using Where’s My Refund? tool or by calling 800-829-1954 for automated refund information. IRS phone assistors do not have more information than what is available in this online tool.

Text this page to someone: