Applying, Recertifying and Checking your status for Home Energy Assistance (HEA) and Universal Service Fund (USF) is easier than ever!
Apply for the USF/LIHEAP online via DCAid Screening Tool
- While you're there, check for other benefits you may qualify for by scrolling down to the Screening Process section and clicking on "Get Started!"
If you are not currently receiving utility assistance benefits and would like to apply or explore other programs, visit our Utility Assistance Programs webpage for applications and income limits.
Already enrolled for USF/LIHEAP last season and need to recertify for this season?
- Returning applicants can recertify using the DCAid Service Portal
- Other options include:
- Email a completed recertification form with required documents to USFHEAfirstname.lastname@example.org at any time.
- Mail a completed recertification form with all required documents to the agency listed on your recertification letter.
Now you can check your status online!
- If you applied for USF/LIHEAP via the DCAid Screening Tool, you can check your application status and benefits at any time by visiting the DCAid Service Portal and clicking "Returning Applicant".
- Recertify via the online DCAaid Screening Tool.
2022-2023 Income Guidelines
|Household Size||USF Program||LIHEAP Program|
|For each additional person||add $1,574||add $200|
Have you moved? If you have moved to a new address in the past 12 months, you will need to submit a new application. Be sure to include all required documents in full. Missing or incomplete documents will delay the review process.
- Apply online via the DCAaid Screening Tool.
- Complete a full paper application; Download the application. Paper applications can be mailed or emailed to your county application agency which is listed at the bottom of your recertification letter. Don't have your letter? View a list of local application agencies.
- Proof of Identification (Social security cards for all household members and birth certificates for those under 12 months of age; custody papers for minors not living with parents; documentation for all foster children in the household)
- Proof of income for every household member who is 18 years of age or older
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Legal Residency Status (provide one of the following: social security card; copy of Medicaid/Medicare card; documentation from the U.S. Department of Citizenship and Immigrations Services; or USCIS Temporary Work Permit)
- copy of your most recent utility bill
- copy of your tax bill, mortgage, or rental lease (if you are in public housing, include your Housing Authority proof of residence letter or lease agreement)